Friday, October 9, 2009

Week 46


Hello all and Welcome to Post-Natal Week 46,

So Estella walked by herself for the first time on October 6th! I had just finished feeding her at the daycare and she was playing with me and Marta, one on the lovely ladies that watches her. We were trying to get her to walk between us. At first she had no interest at all. But once we held up an ice tea bottle (I don't know why this worked, we tried toys first) she started walking. She took 5-6 steps between me and Marta a few times. It was great and so much fun. I was very proud. Later that evening Eric and I were able to do it again, but this time we used water in her cup as a motivator. It is very exciting and scary all at the same time. She doesn't want to do it all the time, it is still faster for her to crawl everywhere. Plus, I don't think she has much confidence walking on her own without holding on to anything. Estella does love it when I hold her hands and she can walk. And walk may not even be the right word for those moments because she really is trying to run when she holds my hands. She laughs and has her mouth open as if she is trying to catch the wind. It's very funny.

I admire her fearlessness. I'm slightly envious of her youth in that manner. There is something very beautiful in not knowing and just going, doing and being. All of the first, second and third times before you realize the effects of your actions. No awareness of the future a few seconds from now, just truly being in the moment. I know we all still have some moments like that in life, but really the not knowing as an adult isn't usually a positive experience. It's completely different for a baby and young children, and that is wonderful. It's why words like impossible don't make sense to children, and why should it?

`I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.' -Lewis Carroll, Alice Through the Looking Glass

I know she won't be like this forever, but I am truly enjoying her right now.

Not much to report this week. Walking is a big moment all by itself. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! The photo this week was taken by my mother's phone.

Love,
Desiree

No comments: