Friday, August 14, 2009

Week 38


Hello all and Welcome to Port-Natal Week 38

In the course of a weekend Estella went from crawling to standing to wanting the walk on her own. Three days later she took her first step. Thank goodness she hasn't been able to master the walking yet. However we all know it is only a matter of time. My once spacious house now feels like a gauntlet of hurt and destruction when I think of Estella navigating herself through the obstacles. My glass coffee table (with the curved edges and is protected in some IKEA plastimetal) is now a danger to which Estella in inextricably drawn. I just envision her banging her hands and toys on the table and it just shatters into hundreds of glass shards. Obviously the glass table is no longer in my living room.

I crawl on the floor with Estella and I am constantly finding things that have fallen to the floor that can be picked up and easily swallowed by a curious 8 month old. It is amazing to me how often I am taking small objects off the floor. Just last night I noticed the small bell from my cat’s collar had come off and would be keenly lying in her eyesight had she just turned around a little bit. I was so glad that I saw it first. And Eric always has coins falling out of his pocket. I find them on the couch and floor on a nearly daily basis. I think I am going to put a jug by the front door so that he has to empty his pockets of all coins before he gets to comfortable on the couch. We’ll see it that actually works out.

This weekend we are taking Estella to the beach for the first time. It’s only for the day and I have no idea how well it is going to go. I’m slightly nervous about driving all the way there to find out that Estella is very unhappy in the sun, sand and ocean. Maybe we should hedge our bets and go to a beach that has a boardwalk with rides. We can find some baby rides for her. She’ll probably have a great time and I’m worrying for nothing. She’s a very happy baby 95% of the time so the odds are on my side that it’ll be a good day. And Eric is just itching to get to the beach so he’ll be happy as a clam.

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer and I hope to see all of you soon. Thank you for indulging my need to gush about my daughter in these updates!

Love to you all,

Desiree

1 comment: